Skip to main content

Nokia Or Blackberry - Who's Racing Ahead!

Hiya Friends!

For those who know me well, must be wondering why this post came so late. Well I have been kinda gadget freak and must admit that I have used some of the most wonderful phones in the past! Thought I will share my personal views (strictly personal views). This ain't a phone specific review, but a comparison of the features offered by both the manufactures. Right then, lets start with the basics first:

In Battery Backup, Nokia emerges a clear winner in this this with almost all the phones offering a talk time of as high as 8 to 9 hours (on 2G) as compared to the 5 to 6 hours of any of the RIM Phones Blackberry). This however has a lot to do with the number of applications running on the Blackberry Services (and they run non-stop). On any RIM Phone, you will on an average find 2 email accounts (it can go up to 10), 2 to 3 instant messaging applications (including the BBM) and a whole host of other applications, while a Nokia may not see so many of em running in tandem. On the interface part, though I found RIM phones superior to the good old Nokia, but because of the huge market share that Nokia has, the acceptance of any new Nokia product is much higher than RIMs of the world - however this is going to change for sure!!! RIM has one of the smoothest OS available in market (even the ones which are not running on OS 6 are better then the new Nokia Phones) while the much older symbian and the new born android are yet to match the stuff RIM has to offer...

Both the companies have priced their products nicely, with Nokia winning the battle (decent smart phones available from Nokia in the range of 6 grands) and RIM discontinuing the 8820, 8830, and some of the other phones which were priced in the range of 4 to 7 grands. Though these models are available on some online shopping portals, but they are not new - they are refurbished phones with a 6 month warranty. Also, we still don't have many people buying cell phones from online portals, despite the rise of users on these portals - Cell Phones are something that you would like to buy only after holding it in your hands (I do so)

On the application front, RIM is a clear winner with its fantastic "Blackberry App World" application, which features some of the best utilities, business apps, themes and much more. The BB App World, clearly outshines the "Nokia Ovi Store" not just in terms of the number of apps (I am talking about free applications) but also in terms of the quality and user friendliness of the applications. The Ovi store is far from the BB App World. I haven't really checked out the "Google Android Market" but with the name "Google" linked to it - I would like to safely assume that it can give a tough fight to the BB App World or may even beat it.

While both RIM and Nokia almost go hand in hand on the features we spoke so far, there is one feature that will clearly distinguish the two of them! Connectivity.... Yes you heard it right and many of the users who have used the RIM and Nokia services both, will agree with me completely here. The revolutionary Blackberry Internet / Prosumer / Enterprise Services are far more superior then the old and substandard GPRS and even 3G (because if its unavailability in most of the parts of the country)

Though this is not the geniuses on subject matter will say, but in my opinion, the difference between RIM Connectivity Services and GPRS is similar to Direct Current (DC) and Alternate Current (AC). RIM does not fluctuate and its seamless wherever you go, while GPRS can give you tough times, especially when you are on roaming.

Overall, I have used more than 20 Nokia Phones and 3 RIMs and the RIMs win the race for me!!! I am going to buy my next RIM in a day or two. If you are planning to buy a phone in the budget of 9 to 10 grands, and are stuck in the Nokia V/s Blackberry battle, then I would suggest you put your money on the RIM (go for Blackberry 8520 / 8530) and see the difference it brings to you. This I am saying after using more than 30 different phones in the last 8 years.

If you found it interesting and need any more information and you feel I can help you with that, just write to me on saxenasumit56@yahoo.in and we can stay plugged in from there!!!

Till my next post - keep smilling and "Happy Independence Day"

Cheers
Sumit


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am 12th Pass - What Next?

Right then This one is for all the youngsters who are stepping out of their school lives and are stuck with what to do next! Yes, for millions of youngistani's this question has either not been answered or has been answered be their parents / relatives / peers or other influences in life. I remember the days when cleared my Senior Secondary examination from CBSE about 11 years back - everyone around me starting talking about me becoming an Engineer, that too from IIT or DCE only. Some of them had started calling me Er Sumit Saxena (on a lighter note of course). But, I wasn't too keen to become an Engineer - not that I knew what should I do in life, but yes not Engineering for sure. Due to the fact that I was being pushed against the walls (only by the expectations of my ecosystem) I decided to appear for the entrance exams (JEE and all) and flunked with flying colors! Yes, I could not clear any of them, only because I was sure I can't be an Engineer, even if I become on

The Agony of an Indian Son, Husband, Father.....

Disclaimer: This post is completely imaginary and bears no resemblance to any living being or incident. These are just my thoughts and may be a little bit of sarcasm around the topic. Pure fiction! Hope you enjoy reading :) _________________________________________________________________________________ I was born in a small town of Uttar Pradesh in a Kayastha joint family. My father is a government employee working as a clerk and earns only so much that we can live by ourselves. We obviously cannot save anything and my mother always kept dreaming of living a life which is full of fun, frolic, holidays and jewellery! While I was growing up, I kept listening to my mother blaming my paternal grand parents for all the hardships and problems we have faced so far and saw her crying many a times whenever she would retaliate to what my father or grand parents would say. In our kind of families, females are not allowed to argue much with the in-laws as it was considered rude, even if th

Letter To PM - You Have Lost 1 Vote Sir!

Dear Prime Minister Sir, I hope you get to read this letter some time. I am a citizen of this country and am living in the National Capital Region. I am 28 years old and work in the corporate sector. This is all about myself that I am sure you would like to know. I am writing to you today as a rightful citizen of India and as someone who voted for Congress in anticipation that things will change in the country with some of the most promising faces in the political arena favoring Congress. I would not hesitate in saying that it was also attributed to the lack of good options that made you the obvious choice. It all went very nice and cosy after the elections till we started getting jitters from the government or should I say lack of governance. I am neither an economist nor do I specialize in "how to run a country" - but as a citizen of this country, I am entitled to ask you some basic questions: - What went wrong with inflation? Why all of a sudden everything seems to b