Skip to main content

Is Aspiration Killing our Job Prospects? Time to Introspect?

"I am a graduate sir, why should I do a job of 6000 Rs?" Rafique's eyes were showing the anger he had while he said this to me! I head the placement department of an skillling company and as my designation would suggest, I am the job man in the company. On an average, we get 100 to 200 jobs to our students every month and the number is on an incline. But Rafique who comes from a farmer's family in Hansi (Near Hisar, Haryana) is the only living being to have graduated in his studies to the 10+2+3 level and undoubtedly is very proud of this too! I was interacting with some of our students and during the interaction I told them that the market today is offering salaries of INR 5000 to INR 8000 in general at the entry level in areas like Sales, Retail, Restaurant Chains, Domestic BPO etc when Rafique decided to break lose.

Rafique says, why should I work for 6k when I can earn 280/- per day as a daily wage labour (that's about 8.5k per month). He also believes that if he has done his graduation then he should be paid a better salary than his other classmates who are not graduates as yet. And believe me, Rafique is not the only one who feels this! The youngest country in the world today faces a big deficit of skills in its youth, Skills and not Degrees. Thanks to our academic system, it isn't that tough to get degrees in India (at least the basic ones) but no-where during our school life or college life was there an emphasis on the skilling of these kids. As a student, even I never saw my school or college trying to impart a specific professional skill (as they do in the West) and this most of the time leads to a strong mismatch between the youth's expectations and what's available in the market.

Today's consumption based economy has resulted into thousands of jobs in areas like Sales (BFSI and others), Retail, Hospitality (Restaurant Chains), ITES (BPOs) but owing to the aspirations of our 18 to 22 year olds (which is not really to work in these areas as they should ideally do) these companies are facing a talent crunch. Most of the companies in these sectors have PAN India operations and their replacement hires per quarter runs up to 20,000 and if you add their new hires, it can range anything between 22,000 to 25,000 candidates. Now, this number is huge! Given the unemployment scenario in our country, only one client can virtually accommodate youth from a few villages for its normal recruitment cycles. But the problem is that our youth either does not want to work (I will not get into the reasons for that since its an entirely different topic) or they don't want to start with what they are getting.

They are not ready to go and do sales, or take / make calls in a BPO or stand in an air conditioned showroom to attend to customers. Their most common rebuttal is | "Sir, can I get some office job?" or "Sir, not this one, but may be a better job" | and this I am saying after interacting with youth from over 50 cities across the country! Honestly, the fact is that most of them din't invest time in thinking through what's going to happen when my family stops supporting me or what will I do when my family needs my support? Majority of them have the wrong aspirations set - but jobs will come only on merit and not on any other grounds. A job is always subjective - My job may be good for my sub-ordinate, I may like my boss's job more!

My advice to the younger generation would be:

- To speak to as many people as you can about what is available in the market basis your current skill sets
- If you don't agree with what you are getting, then try and up-skill yourself
- Don't rely on peer talks about salaries and jobs, the entire internet is at your disposal, go and find out yourself
- You won't be wrong all the time, so have confidence in yourself and march ahead

If you are offered a job, don't leave it. Remember as one of my ex super bosses said:
"There is a difference in a dwarf and a kid. A dwarf always remains a dwarf, whereas a kid as the opportunity to grow in life at his pace and on merit"

There is no reason why you can't make it big in life, but there is no reason why you shouldn't start small. I started my career 11 years back as retail store executive for a salary of INR 1,740 per month and I feel proud of the growth I experienced in 11 years and I truly believe that if people like me can, then You Can.... India Can......

I would be very happy to talk about this topic in case you have any questions. Just comment on the post or write to me through the contact page and I will catch you in a day's time!!!

Till my next post, keep working hard and never take a job offer lightly, it might just a turning point in your career :)

Cheers
Sumit

Important: The name of the student and location was completely imaginary and was used for this specific blog post. There are no resemblances to any living being in this post.

Comments

Gaurav Chandra said…
You have hit the nail on the head. Same thing I also experience. During hiring process the freshers, who have no clue about the job or who have not done any job, expect a salary of > 20K per month just because they are a BE/B.Tech./MCA even if they are 3rd divisioners. I always say that learn first, money will follow. To add to what you have written, I started with Rs. 5000/- as salary per month and I was proud of it as I had got an opportunity to learn and boy have I grown.

Granted that as a daily wager I can get more but the daily wager will not be able to move up where as I can move up in life.
The JobMan said…
Indeed Gaurav. But I am sure loads of counselling and a few years of effort will be able to make a difference in the life of a youth lost in uneven aspirations.

Thanks for the comment, keep coming back to Sumit Ki Duniya :)

Cheers
Sumit
Unknown said…
Reading your blogs inspire me sumit.I m mba graduate and cracked my campus interview in uflex bt due to some personal issue couldn't join there.That was the biggest mistake i had done in my life till now..Now sometimes I get down after being mba I had lost that opportunity nd entered in to recruitment but when I will get stable I dnt know.

You write awesome bro..

Regards
Karan
ajeethboaz said…
Well said, I am a leaving example, I completed my graduation and did my MS and wonder what I started my career with 11k, It was peanuts for such a huge loan on my back, I struggled my way through the road and am not done I will keep hitting hard coz thats when v learn lots of things and grow not only professionally by personally also as a good human... [www.ajeethboaz.com]
The JobMan said…
Thanks Karan and Ajeeth!!! I guess all of us learn the hard way, the only difference is, some carry the attitude to learn and some just wish to earn - Simply without having a clue about how do we do it!!!

Glad to have you on Sumit Ki Duniya, keep coming back :)

Cheers
Sumit

Popular posts from this blog

I am 12th Pass - What Next?

Right then This one is for all the youngsters who are stepping out of their school lives and are stuck with what to do next! Yes, for millions of youngistani's this question has either not been answered or has been answered be their parents / relatives / peers or other influences in life. I remember the days when cleared my Senior Secondary examination from CBSE about 11 years back - everyone around me starting talking about me becoming an Engineer, that too from IIT or DCE only. Some of them had started calling me Er Sumit Saxena (on a lighter note of course). But, I wasn't too keen to become an Engineer - not that I knew what should I do in life, but yes not Engineering for sure. Due to the fact that I was being pushed against the walls (only by the expectations of my ecosystem) I decided to appear for the entrance exams (JEE and all) and flunked with flying colors! Yes, I could not clear any of them, only because I was sure I can't be an Engineer, even if I become on

The Agony of an Indian Son, Husband, Father.....

Disclaimer: This post is completely imaginary and bears no resemblance to any living being or incident. These are just my thoughts and may be a little bit of sarcasm around the topic. Pure fiction! Hope you enjoy reading :) _________________________________________________________________________________ I was born in a small town of Uttar Pradesh in a Kayastha joint family. My father is a government employee working as a clerk and earns only so much that we can live by ourselves. We obviously cannot save anything and my mother always kept dreaming of living a life which is full of fun, frolic, holidays and jewellery! While I was growing up, I kept listening to my mother blaming my paternal grand parents for all the hardships and problems we have faced so far and saw her crying many a times whenever she would retaliate to what my father or grand parents would say. In our kind of families, females are not allowed to argue much with the in-laws as it was considered rude, even if th

Letter To PM - You Have Lost 1 Vote Sir!

Dear Prime Minister Sir, I hope you get to read this letter some time. I am a citizen of this country and am living in the National Capital Region. I am 28 years old and work in the corporate sector. This is all about myself that I am sure you would like to know. I am writing to you today as a rightful citizen of India and as someone who voted for Congress in anticipation that things will change in the country with some of the most promising faces in the political arena favoring Congress. I would not hesitate in saying that it was also attributed to the lack of good options that made you the obvious choice. It all went very nice and cosy after the elections till we started getting jitters from the government or should I say lack of governance. I am neither an economist nor do I specialize in "how to run a country" - but as a citizen of this country, I am entitled to ask you some basic questions: - What went wrong with inflation? Why all of a sudden everything seems to b