Skip to main content

Dear Bad Boss - Thank You Very Much!!!

Image from www.rolandocabral.com
So - when was the last time you were pissed at your boss for being "one heck of a stupid ass" - at least this is what you must have felt, isn't it?

The dynamics between a boss and a subordinate can be smooth or full of friction, but two things may be common at all levels:

- The boss feels, he/she is the boss at the end of the story!
- The subordinate feels he/she can do better than the boss!

This article is for everyone, who has ever said or even felt that he is reporting to someone who can be easily termed as a "Bad Boss" and is looking for a rescue from the "Bad Boss". Well, first things first - there is nothing called a good or a bad boss. Its all our perspective - in the "Corporate Jungle", the biggest unsaid rule is "Every Man for Himself". Everything else said or unsaid follows this rule. You never work to make your bosses or subordinates successful, you make them successful so that their success contributes to your success. Your own Success!!! Yes, I strongly feel its the success of the individual or his/her idea that is the motive behind every initiative / action in the Corporate Jungle...

So, why so much of fuss about the bad boss then? Why is it that most of the people feel their bosses are the negative category and attract so much of hatred and negativity from their team members? The answers go back to some of my previous lines in the very article! Because the average subordinate feels his/her boss is a threat to his/her success (or timely success) or his/her idea. This actually may be true in many cases too, but we are not getting into that dialogue in this article. I intent to pen down the learning's that we can take from our real bad bosses (where the boss is actually roadblocking the growth of subordinates)...

The best learning from your bad boss that you can ever get (and I must mention, one of my good bosses in the past gave me this advice) is that you get to "Un-learn a lot of Bad Practices"

Your boss may be insecure, insensitive with towards you, but he/she may exhibit a lot of behavioral aspects which can prove to be a great learning for you. Some common traits can be:

- Taking away all the credit for success
- Blaming the failures on to the team
- Initiating politics within the team to keep his/her position strong
- Restrictions on communication at large with external customers
- Wanting to be the central power point instead of a leader
- Above all, trying to instruct and not lead

Whenever you are dealing with a bad boss, you must realize that you may be in this position too and the bad boss may not even be aware of the fact that he/she is being bad! It can just be a personality trait which is more natural then intentional - and you need to identify it accordingly. Things that you can learn from your bad boss can be how not to:

- Deal with your team members
- Structure your team and communication styles
- Evade positives of your team members and indulge in malpractices, like internal politics
- Have a bad reputation with your team members (most important)
- Much more...

All this can happen only when you look at this entire scenario as a workbook and intentionally try to learn stuff. In all fairness, you will always have a boss in your life (most probably) and must understand that you can't evade him/her ever. Don't try to change your boss, change the equation with your boss. Please talk whenever you feel suffocated - it is imperative to breath freely in any job.

One last time again, there can never be a perfect boss or a subordinate - the only thing that can near perfection is the dynamics between the boss and subordinate - try and focus on this and you may get better results. Remember, if you know what not to do as a boss, your task to be a good boss is almost half done!!!

Hope you enjoyed this piece, till my next post, smile more often and eat healthy!!!

Cheers
Sumit

Comments

KEERTI said…
Another well written article I must say. Though felt you have just touched the surface and sailed through smoothly.

Like the line - "Don't try to change your boss, change the equation with your boss. It is imperative to breath freely in any job."
Also, as mentioned the entire scenario needs to be looked at like a worbook so as to intentionally try to learn stuff. I think this is workable only if one is capable of disassociating themselves from the reality and looking at the broader aspect of things / situation.

Keep up the good work!
Regards
Kaks
The JobMan said…
Thanks Kaks!

I truly believe that this is one very important aspect of our corporate world.

HRD can very well pitch in by checking with the subordinates, as I said in one of my previous articles - 360 degree appraisals are imperative!!!

Appreciate your feedback, looking forward to more in times to come :):):)

Cheers
Sumit
Unknown said…
Touchwood, blank on it, coz so far never faced bad boss.
But to me more then him/her being good or bad it's who actually is a boss??
So, I would like to add on
What makes a boss???
Experience, Yes But what makes him, so called, good or bad is skill to handle manpower.
Age,Can just command respect but ability to persuade/ convince people is what can retain it.
On the post:
Well written Captain,,, and I must say best so far.
regards,
The JobMan said…
Thanks Champ!!!

Cheers
Sumit
Ash said…
Well written, they say that people leave managers and not companies. A bad boss is the biggest reason for people to quit a job.
The JobMan said…
Bang on!!! Being an HR guy myself, I feel bad for our corporate at times. We are stuck with our preconceived notions about having experienced idiots leading young and aggresive people.

This is not a good match and we must realize that soon. While I dont disagree with the importance of experience, it is also important to realize how much of it is needed for a particular role.

Unfortunately not many takers for this funda, despite having suffered so much in their respective lives.

Thanks for your comment and looking forward to more of your e-pinions :)

Cheers
Sumit

Popular posts from this blog

I am 12th Pass - What Next?

Right then This one is for all the youngsters who are stepping out of their school lives and are stuck with what to do next! Yes, for millions of youngistani's this question has either not been answered or has been answered be their parents / relatives / peers or other influences in life. I remember the days when cleared my Senior Secondary examination from CBSE about 11 years back - everyone around me starting talking about me becoming an Engineer, that too from IIT or DCE only. Some of them had started calling me Er Sumit Saxena (on a lighter note of course). But, I wasn't too keen to become an Engineer - not that I knew what should I do in life, but yes not Engineering for sure. Due to the fact that I was being pushed against the walls (only by the expectations of my ecosystem) I decided to appear for the entrance exams (JEE and all) and flunked with flying colors! Yes, I could not clear any of them, only because I was sure I can't be an Engineer, even if I become on

The Agony of an Indian Son, Husband, Father.....

Disclaimer: This post is completely imaginary and bears no resemblance to any living being or incident. These are just my thoughts and may be a little bit of sarcasm around the topic. Pure fiction! Hope you enjoy reading :) _________________________________________________________________________________ I was born in a small town of Uttar Pradesh in a Kayastha joint family. My father is a government employee working as a clerk and earns only so much that we can live by ourselves. We obviously cannot save anything and my mother always kept dreaming of living a life which is full of fun, frolic, holidays and jewellery! While I was growing up, I kept listening to my mother blaming my paternal grand parents for all the hardships and problems we have faced so far and saw her crying many a times whenever she would retaliate to what my father or grand parents would say. In our kind of families, females are not allowed to argue much with the in-laws as it was considered rude, even if th

Letter To PM - You Have Lost 1 Vote Sir!

Dear Prime Minister Sir, I hope you get to read this letter some time. I am a citizen of this country and am living in the National Capital Region. I am 28 years old and work in the corporate sector. This is all about myself that I am sure you would like to know. I am writing to you today as a rightful citizen of India and as someone who voted for Congress in anticipation that things will change in the country with some of the most promising faces in the political arena favoring Congress. I would not hesitate in saying that it was also attributed to the lack of good options that made you the obvious choice. It all went very nice and cosy after the elections till we started getting jitters from the government or should I say lack of governance. I am neither an economist nor do I specialize in "how to run a country" - but as a citizen of this country, I am entitled to ask you some basic questions: - What went wrong with inflation? Why all of a sudden everything seems to b