Skip to main content

Travelling Outstation? Here Are Some Tips...

Ok Folks

I bet some of you are feeling that I am enjoying my maximum free time off late and there writing blog posts almost every 3 days! The fact here is that off-late I have been travelling extensively these days and am getting some time to blog during my inter-city transit. So what do I have for you today! I am going to talk about what I love doing the most - Travel!

In the past 2 years or so, I have so far gone on 66 trips (and I am my 67th trip), traveled for over 160 days to 36 cities in India. While traveling was never a cake walk for the comfort loving personalities, you may still find it interesting if you take care of a few basic things, which I am going to list down for you. Here is what I feel you should take care of while I am traveling / starting for a travel to ensure smooth times for me:

- Plan your travel well in advance. No matter what, it gives you immense confidence if you have your travel tickets Air/Rail/Bus or the cabs organized well in time. Last moment travel planning can cost you more as well

- Pack light. As a principle, I do not carry anything which I cannot pack in my shoulder bag (on an average my travel is from (1-3 days). Its fantastic to travel with the minimum hand baggage as psychologically you feel much better if your hands are free

- Leave your house/office in time. Generally our travel starts either with the first or the last train/flight and hence it is obvious that we leave our homes at wee hours of the day. If we do not leave on time, we may end up asking the taxi/auto driver as well to rush which is unsafe since during these times the trucks and other heavy vehicles are also running around a little wildly

- Please pack your essentials carefully. Your toiletries must be packed in a manner that they dont leak in your bags. This happens very often that the tooth paste just leaked by the time you reached your hotel or something else, which may lead to your cloths getting screwed

- While choosing the hotel, its better to consider where will you be moving around during your visit. If you are leaving from the hotel on your way back, then its advisable to take the hotel near the airport/railway station. This helps you reduce the intra-city travel during your visit

- Eat wisely. While I do not follow this completely, but its advisable to eat wisely during your travel. The last thing you need is an upset stomach and your eyes searching for a washroom most of the day during the travel

- Do not drink with strangers or  acquaintances . This is something that most of the people may indulge into, you are out of your home, alone with some friends, colleagues and you may want to chip in a drink or two: but wait a minute, are you sure of the person sitting with you? Its always better to be in your senses and complete control when you have strangers and acquaintances around.

- If it is an official trip, avoid getting late to your office and leaving very early. While you may be tempted to go out and have a look around at the city, but please book your evening hours for that.

- For official travelers, its a must to ask for a bill for every single thing you pay for. This helps you in easier clearances of your travel bills

- While getting your air tickets done, you may wish to give out your frequent flier number to the travel desk, this not only gets you free miles, but also gets you some added benefits as well from the airline.

- Ensure that during the travel your mobile phone, laptop are complete charged

- Carry enough (and not a lot of) cash during travel. Extra cash may attract the attention of some crooks around too. After all, better safe than sorry.

- If you find time, its always good to use google before you travel. Ask google to let you know more about the place you are going to. For instance, if you are travelling to Mandi Govindgarh, a small town in Punjab, you may want to know that this town has one of the maximum number of furnaces and is known for the iron recycling at a large scale

- Stay calm, dont pick fights with the locals. The more cautious approach you take, the smoother your travel becomes.

- Last but not the least, be proactive and not reactive!!!

I hope these pointers make some difference to the way you travel outside your home town and you find some sense in them. Thanks for your time on Sumit Ki Duniya - would be great to have you as a fan on our Facebook page too. Till my next post, stay safe and healthy!!!

Cheers
Sumit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am 12th Pass - What Next?

Right then This one is for all the youngsters who are stepping out of their school lives and are stuck with what to do next! Yes, for millions of youngistani's this question has either not been answered or has been answered be their parents / relatives / peers or other influences in life. I remember the days when cleared my Senior Secondary examination from CBSE about 11 years back - everyone around me starting talking about me becoming an Engineer, that too from IIT or DCE only. Some of them had started calling me Er Sumit Saxena (on a lighter note of course). But, I wasn't too keen to become an Engineer - not that I knew what should I do in life, but yes not Engineering for sure. Due to the fact that I was being pushed against the walls (only by the expectations of my ecosystem) I decided to appear for the entrance exams (JEE and all) and flunked with flying colors! Yes, I could not clear any of them, only because I was sure I can't be an Engineer, even if I become on

The Agony of an Indian Son, Husband, Father.....

Disclaimer: This post is completely imaginary and bears no resemblance to any living being or incident. These are just my thoughts and may be a little bit of sarcasm around the topic. Pure fiction! Hope you enjoy reading :) _________________________________________________________________________________ I was born in a small town of Uttar Pradesh in a Kayastha joint family. My father is a government employee working as a clerk and earns only so much that we can live by ourselves. We obviously cannot save anything and my mother always kept dreaming of living a life which is full of fun, frolic, holidays and jewellery! While I was growing up, I kept listening to my mother blaming my paternal grand parents for all the hardships and problems we have faced so far and saw her crying many a times whenever she would retaliate to what my father or grand parents would say. In our kind of families, females are not allowed to argue much with the in-laws as it was considered rude, even if th

Letter To PM - You Have Lost 1 Vote Sir!

Dear Prime Minister Sir, I hope you get to read this letter some time. I am a citizen of this country and am living in the National Capital Region. I am 28 years old and work in the corporate sector. This is all about myself that I am sure you would like to know. I am writing to you today as a rightful citizen of India and as someone who voted for Congress in anticipation that things will change in the country with some of the most promising faces in the political arena favoring Congress. I would not hesitate in saying that it was also attributed to the lack of good options that made you the obvious choice. It all went very nice and cosy after the elections till we started getting jitters from the government or should I say lack of governance. I am neither an economist nor do I specialize in "how to run a country" - but as a citizen of this country, I am entitled to ask you some basic questions: - What went wrong with inflation? Why all of a sudden everything seems to b