Skip to main content

Bharat Meeting India... Really?

As the youngest country in the world and almost the most populated, India at the dawn of 2017 is staring at one of the largest human capital banks in the world. This however is just half the truth! The demographic dividend that India can reap as a country can easily turn out to be a royal disaster as well. With a mandate to practically train 33% of the entire country and put them to jobs by the year 2022, I just have one question to the entire industry – Are we really addressing the elephant in the room?
Yes, we need to think about it. Billions are being spent every year on creating the success story called “Skilled India” thousands of people are being trained by more than 1000 organizations across the length and breadth of the country, but the real motive of Bharat meeting India is still a glory, we need to achieve. To put things into perspective, we have more than 10 schemes for skill development and employment generation run by various ministries. The mandate to train and place these 500 million Indians by 2022 is going to become a larger challenge day by day because the entire skill development ecosystem is evolving at a space which is slower than the space at which other ecosystems affecting it are evolving.
For instance, a couple of years ago, requesting employers to hire candidates from skill development projects used to take much lesser effort, than today. Reason? Well blame it on low joining ratio and an even lower retention rate. The employers giving on the spot job offers to candidates during campus interviews, now want to be sure of the student’s commitment and hence want them to come to the company premises for joining, work for a couple of days, before issuing offer letters / appointment letters to them. There is no doubt about the fact that as a system, skill development is finally taking shape with third party assessments, monitoring by various bodies and newer frameworks like the National Skills Qualifications Framework, which defines the job roles and qualification packs for the industry to train people on. But are we really moving that fast? I have a few doubts:
While most of the training and placement programs are targeted towards the skill development and employment (livelihood) for the beneficiaries, the budgets allocated towards the training, placement and post placement support need to be looked at. Most of the jobs being offered in the space are bottom of the pyramid jobs, where as per the employers the students can join even without such heavy training. The idea is to create a platform for employers and job seekers so that a culture of employment is created and if there is a shortfall in skills of the job seekers, then provide them a finishing school training to get the desired job. More importantly, the budgets allocated to training can be used towards placement and post placement support. If a student survives the first 6-9 months in a job, there are large chances that he / she is going to stick to the corporate world. The student may still leave the job for another one, but is unlikely to sit at home after that.
Today, the government is very active on the direct benefit transfer and similar schemes. I believe that if the government makes a couple of changes in the way it provides benefits to students under these schemes, we can see a positive change in the joining and retention ratio. For instance, the government must consider providing the post placement support amount to the bank accounts of the parents of the beneficiary students as this will ensure that the parents will start pushing these candidates to stay on the job. Today, the parents are practically unaware about the benefits and since they can’t see it, they won’t believe in it. However a direct benefit transfer of the post placement support money to the parents, will also start a debate on whether we should be paying the parents for something that the kids are doing or not – but debates never end, do they?
None-the-less, my piece on Bharat meeting India is just a reflection of what I believe should be the next steps of evolution for the skill development ecosystem in India and I am very sure that the more we involve the parents in the entire story, the better our results will be.
Do share your thoughts with me on saxena.is.sumit@gmail.com or in the comments section.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am 12th Pass - What Next?

Right then This one is for all the youngsters who are stepping out of their school lives and are stuck with what to do next! Yes, for millions of youngistani's this question has either not been answered or has been answered be their parents / relatives / peers or other influences in life. I remember the days when cleared my Senior Secondary examination from CBSE about 11 years back - everyone around me starting talking about me becoming an Engineer, that too from IIT or DCE only. Some of them had started calling me Er Sumit Saxena (on a lighter note of course). But, I wasn't too keen to become an Engineer - not that I knew what should I do in life, but yes not Engineering for sure. Due to the fact that I was being pushed against the walls (only by the expectations of my ecosystem) I decided to appear for the entrance exams (JEE and all) and flunked with flying colors! Yes, I could not clear any of them, only because I was sure I can't be an Engineer, even if I become on

The Agony of an Indian Son, Husband, Father.....

Disclaimer: This post is completely imaginary and bears no resemblance to any living being or incident. These are just my thoughts and may be a little bit of sarcasm around the topic. Pure fiction! Hope you enjoy reading :) _________________________________________________________________________________ I was born in a small town of Uttar Pradesh in a Kayastha joint family. My father is a government employee working as a clerk and earns only so much that we can live by ourselves. We obviously cannot save anything and my mother always kept dreaming of living a life which is full of fun, frolic, holidays and jewellery! While I was growing up, I kept listening to my mother blaming my paternal grand parents for all the hardships and problems we have faced so far and saw her crying many a times whenever she would retaliate to what my father or grand parents would say. In our kind of families, females are not allowed to argue much with the in-laws as it was considered rude, even if th

Letter To PM - You Have Lost 1 Vote Sir!

Dear Prime Minister Sir, I hope you get to read this letter some time. I am a citizen of this country and am living in the National Capital Region. I am 28 years old and work in the corporate sector. This is all about myself that I am sure you would like to know. I am writing to you today as a rightful citizen of India and as someone who voted for Congress in anticipation that things will change in the country with some of the most promising faces in the political arena favoring Congress. I would not hesitate in saying that it was also attributed to the lack of good options that made you the obvious choice. It all went very nice and cosy after the elections till we started getting jitters from the government or should I say lack of governance. I am neither an economist nor do I specialize in "how to run a country" - but as a citizen of this country, I am entitled to ask you some basic questions: - What went wrong with inflation? Why all of a sudden everything seems to b